Oct. 3, 2012
GRANDVILLE, Mich. - The Grand Valley State women's tennis team downed Ferris State, 8-1, on Wednesday afternoon at Ramblewood Tennis Club.
The victory improves the Lakers record to 7-1 on the year and in conference play, while also extending their winning streak to four matches. Ferris State drops to 7-4 in both the GLIAC and for the season.
GVSU swept through doubles competition to take an early 3-0 lead. Senior Katelyn Schaffer and junior Lexi Rice won their match, 8-3, in the No. 1 spot. Sophmore Leah Dancz paired with senior Allison Fecko for an 8-0 victory in the No. 2 spot. Senior Morgan Carney and junior Niki Shipman closed out the doubles win with a 9-8 (3) win in the No. 3 slot.
Shipman also took her singles match in the No. 1 spot, 6-3, 3-6, 10-3, while Carney was able to grab a three-set win in the four slot, 6-7 (5), 7-5, 10-3. Rice also earned a singles victory against Laurence LeBlanc, 6-0, 6-2, at the No. 3 singles spot. Freshman Claire Cooper defeated Janie Sell, 6-3, 7-5 in the fifth spot before sophomore Kali Phillips, the GLIAC Athlete of the Week, dropped Julia Fusik, 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 6 spot.
GVSU continues GLIAC competition on Saturday, Oct. 6 against Northwood in Midland, Mich. at 10 a.m.
Grand Valley State 8, Ferris State 1
Oct 03, 2012 at Grandville, Mich. (Ramblewood Tennis Club)
1. Niki Shipman (GV) def. Ana Jan (FS) 6-3, 3-6, 10-3
2. Tabitha Simpson (FS) def. Leah Dancz (GV) 7-6 (4-0), 1-6, 10-6
3. Lexi Rice (GV) def. Laurence LeBlanc (FS) 6-0, 6-2
4. Morgan Carney (GV) def. Sydnie Sine (FS) 6-7 (0-5), 7-5, 10-3
5. Claire Cooper (GV) def. Janie Sell (FS) 6-3, 7-5
6. Kali Phillips (GV) def. Julia Fusik (FS) 6-0, 6-1
1. Katelyn Schaffer/Lexi Rice (GV) def. Ana Jan/Tabitha Simpson (FS) 8-3
2. Leah Dancz/Allison Fecko (GV) def. Laurence LeBlanc/Julia Fusik (FS) 8-0
3. Morgan Carney/Niki Shipman (GV) def. Sydnie Sine/Janie Sell (FS) 9-8 (3-0)