March 4, 2013
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Grand Valley State women's tennis team shut out Olivet Nazarene, 9-0, on the opening day of its spring break trip in Orlando on Monday morning.
GVSU swept through doubles play with Leah Dancz and Allison Fecko battling to a 4-4 tie before the duo from Olivet Nazarene retired due to injury. Katelyn Schaffer and Morgan Patterson paired up in the No. 2 spot for an 8-5 win, while Claire Cooper and Kali Phillips picked up an 8-3 victory in the No. 3 positio.
In singles play, Niki Shipman took her opponent to three sets with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 win in the No. 1 singles position. Dancz defeated her opponent, 6-4, 7-6 (7), while Morgan Carney had no problem against Ashlan Allison, picking up a 6-0, 6-0, win in the No. 4 spot. Kelly Trapp defeated Tifanny Aguirre, 6-0, 6-4, before Kristina Lucas won, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 6 spot to close out the win for the Lakers.
GVSU is back in action against Providence and Meredith on Tuesday. Matches are scheduled for 8 a.m. and 1 p.m.
1. Niki Shipman (GV) def. Aziza Butoyi (OLNA) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2. Leah Dancz (GV) def. Seraphine Buchmann (OLNA) 6-4, 7-6 (7-0)
3. Morgan Carney (GV) def. Ashlan Allison (OLNA) 6-0, 6-0
4. Morgan Patterson (GV) def. Lindsey Peterson (OLNA) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kelly Trapp (GV) def. Tifanny Aguirre (OLNA) 6-0, 6-4
6. Kristina Lucas (GV) def. Clara Ruegsegger (OLNA) 6-2, 6-2
1. Leah Dancz/Allison Fecko (GV) def. Aziza Butoyi/Seraphine Buchmann (OLNA) 4-4, retired
2. Katelyn Schaffer/Morgan Patterson (GV) def. Ashlan Allison/Tifanny Aguirre (OLNA) 8-5
3. Claire Cooper/Kali Phillips (GV) def. Lindsey Peterson/Clara Ruegsegger (OLNA) 8-3