March 4, 2013
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Grand Valley State men's tennis team opened up its spring break trip with a 7-2 victory against Olivet Nazarene in Orlando, Fla. on Monday morning.
Grand Valley State jumped out in front with two doubles wins to start the day. Andrew Darrell and Quinn Sylow won 8-6 in the No. 2 spot, while Andrew Bole and Ben Esh-Nauta picked up an 8-4 victory in the No. 3 spot.
In singles action, GVSU swept through the competition with the exception of No. 1 singles where Francis Bertrand retired due to injury. Darrell picked up a 7-6 (5), 6-1, victory against Diego Gonsalvez in the second singles position. Byran Hodges won his No. 3 match in three sets, 3-6, 6-2, 10-8. Bole (6-0, 7-5) and Sylow (6-3, 6-2) won at the No. 4 and No. 5 spots, respectively. Freshman Michael Kaye closed out singles play with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles.
Grand Valley State is back in action on Tuesday beginning with Stonehill College at 8 a.m. followed by Moravian at 1 p.m.
1. #9 Julian Kurz (ONU) def. Francis Bertrand (GVM), won by inj.
2. Andrew Darrell (GVM) def. #42 Diego Gonsalvez (ONU) 7-6 (5), 6-1
3. Bryan Hodges (GVM) def. Camilo Giraldo (ONU) 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
4. Andrew Bole (GVM) def. Peter Jensen (ONU) 6-0, 7-5
5. Quinn Sylow (GVM) def. Josue Sanchez (ONU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Michael Kaye (GVM) def. Addison Newell (ONU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Julian Kurz/Diego Gonsalvez (ONU) def. Francis Bertrand/Bryan Hodges (GVM) 9-8
2. Andrew Darrell/Quinn Sylow (GVM) def. Camilo Giraldo/Landon Williams (ONU) 8-6
3. Andrew Bole/Ben Esh-Nauta (GVM) def. Josue Sanchez/Peter Jensen (ONU) 8-4