Feb. 2, 2013
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. - The Grand Valley State men's tennis team fell to Division I opponent Detroit, 6-1, in its opening match of the spring season on Friday night at the Franklin Athletic Club.
Opening with doubles action, both Detroit's No. 1 and No. 2 pairs picked up 8-4 wins to go out in front 2-0. In the No. 3 match, freshman Andrew Bole (Dayton, Ohio) and Ben Esh-Nauta (Spring Lake, Mich.) fell just short to Chris Cheung and Cesar Serrano, 8-7 (7-5).
Junior Bryan Hodges (Bloomfield, Mich.) was the lone point for the Lakers as he battled to a 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, victory in the No. 3 singles spot. Sophomore Quinn Sylow (Sydney, Australia) took his match to three sets as well, but fell 5-7, 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 4 spot.
GVSU continues its schedule with a pair of matches close by next week. The Lakers travel to the Grand Rapids MVP Sportsplex to take on Davenport on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 3:30 p.m., while hosting Cornerstone in a night cap at 8:30 p.m.
University of Detroit Mercy 6, Grand Valley State 1
Feb 01, 2013 at Southfield, Mich. (Franklin Athletic Club)
1. LATOSINSKY, Alex (DETROIT) def. Andrew Darrell (GVM) 6-3, 6-4
2. BASHA, Mike (DETROIT) def. Francis Bertrand (GVM) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
3. Bryan Hodges (GVM) def. NUNEZ, Pablo (DETROIT) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4. SERRANO, Cesar Escob (DETROIT) def. Quinn Sylow (GVM) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. CHEUNG, Chris (DETROIT) def. Andrew Bole (GVM) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
6. ORANTES, Rafael (DETROIT) def. Michael Kaye (GVM) 6-2, 6-1
1. LATOSINSKY, Alex/BASHA, Mike (DETROIT) def. Francis Bertrand/Bryan Hodges (GVM) 8-4
2. JOSHI, Jay/NUNEZ, Pablo (DETROIT) def. Andrew Darrell/Quinn Sylow (GVM) 8-4
3. CHEUNG, Chris/SERRANO, Cesar Escob (DETROIT) def. Andrew Bole/Ben Esh-Nauta (GVM) 8-7 (7-5)