#22 Wayne State Closes Out GVSU, 62-56
Senior Breland Hogan tallied 10 points, six rebounds, four steals, three assists, and two blocks against Wayne State
Senior Breland Hogan tallied 10 points, six rebounds, four steals, three assists, and two blocks against Wayne State

Jan. 26, 2013

Box Score

Detroit, Mich. - In a battle of the top two teams in the GLIAC on Saturday afternoon (Jan. 26), #22 Wayne State outlasted Grand Valley State by a 62-56 score. The league-leading Warriors scored the first 15 points of the second half to take control of the game and hand GVSU just its third conference loss of the season.

Wayne State entered Saturday's game with an 11-1 GLIAC record, having lost just once - on Thursday night (Jan. 24) in double overtime at Ferris State. The Lakers were in second place in both the GLIAC North Division standings and the overall records. The win puts WSU at 13-3 overall and 12-1 in the conference, while Grand Valley State drops to 14-4 on the year and 11-3 in the league.

A tight game at halftime (the Warriors led, 30-26) became one-sided as Wayne State notched the first 15 points of the second half, all in all totaling a 17-0 game-changing run. GVSU pulled to within single-digits in the final minutes and used a pair of last-second three-pointers for the final tally.

Both teams were 20-of-50 from the field for a 40.0 percentage. Grand Valley State was 5-of-19 from three-point range, while WSU was only 1-for-8. The decided advantages for Wayne State were in rebounding (41-27), offensive boards (11-3), and at the free throw line. While GVSU was 11-of-17 at the stripe, the Warriors went 21-of-28 on freebies.

The Lakers scored five of the first seven points of the game on a layup from freshman Ricardo Carbajal and a three-pointer from sophomore Ryan Sabin. There was an eight-minute stretch in which the teams combined to score just three points, while Wayne State took a 13-10 lead at the 8:53 mark on a layup from Gerald Williams-Taylor.

GVSU would not lead again in the game, but pulled within a point at 15-14 (on a Breland Hogan layup) and at 18-17 (after a Ryan Majerle trifecta). Two free throws from Tyrone Lee with 51 seconds remaining in the half made the score, 28-26, before Wayne State scored on an Ian Larkin jumper before intermission. WSU was ahead 30-26 after the first 20 minutes, shooting 38.5 percent from the field, while the Lakers connected on 33.3 percent of their attempts.



The halftime lead grew to 45-26 after Wayne State notched the first 15 points of the second half. GVSU did not score until a Rob Woodson layup at the 13:13 mark in the second stanza. The Warrior advantage would grow to 19 points on several occasions before Grand Valley State began to chip away.

After a dunk from Lee and another Woodson layup, the Lakers had pulled to within single digits at 50-41 with 5:25 to go. Wayne State would not waver, however, as the Warriors knocked down 7-of-8 free throw attempts in the final 36 seconds to secure the victory.

Three Lakers reached double-digits. Lee scored 11 points, making 5-of-8 free throws, while Carbajal went 4-for-5 from the field and added 10 points in 15 minutes. Hogan supplied 10 points to go with six rebounds, four steals, three assists, and two blocks. Majerle was 2-for-4 from three-point range for eight points and Woodson totaled seven points, five boards, and two steals.

GVSU is off until next Saturday (Feb. 2), when the Lakers travel to Big Rapids to take on West Michigan rival Ferris State at 1:00 p.m.

Louie's Locker Room